So we have lived here now for five months. (Time flies!) This has given us plenty of time to become accustomed to Vietnam culture and how life moves here. We miss plenty from the states, but we wanted to create a top 10 of things we really enjoy about Vietnam. These are in no particular order.
1. Proximity to beautiful beaches: Having taken four trips to beaches, it is easy to say there are some great swimming holes. Plus, I have now learned to swim in the ocean thanks to Brooke, which can be a great time.
2. Vietnammm.com: From this one website we are able to order food from almost any restaurant in the city of HCM. It has saved us on those nights we are too lazy to make food at home or make it to the grocery store.
3. The Currency is called Dong: Do I really need to say any more on this one? We still get a chuckle when it’s called by its name.
4. The price of things: We have become very accustomed to the prices. A beer is $1, a meal is $5, and our cable bill is $10. It is going to be hard to see a $100 cable bill, or a $7 beer when we get back to the states.
5. Height of people: No matter where we go, we are always the tallest people. In the states there were people who were close to our height so we did not stand out nearly as much. Here most people are about half our size.
6. Willingness to help: When we get lost or stuck, this never fails that we usually get lost or stuck, people are always willing to help us out. If they cannot help us, we usually get a crowd around us trying to help. It can get a little crazy, but it’s nice to know where there’s a will, there’s a way.
7. Having a guy/person for everything: We cannot get things by ourselves as easy here. So, like Barney from “How I Met Your Mother”, we have a guy for everything. A guy for our travels, a guy to clean our house, a guy for our bike, a guy to fix our internet, a water guy, a bill lady, a cashew lady, our egg breakfast man. You name it, we probably have a person for it.
8. Gourmet sandwiches: HCMC has all of these great sandwich shops around. Most serve sandwiches on a baguette, with your choice of meat and cheese. They are mouth watering good.
9. Up at the crack of dawn: Many people are up early, doing stretches in the park, going for walks or sweeping their sidewalks. This works out great for us being that we are early risers.
10. Work Ethic/Party time: The people work hard putting in a 10+ hour day for 6 days a week, but when they do get time off, or a break, they do not waste it. They know how to enjoy themselves.